Sunday, August 13, 2006

Sunday night thunderstorm

Hey. A big thunderstorm rolled across the island this evening, and it sent several lightning bolts sizzling out of the sky and into the mangrove jungle in the backyard as it was making its way south. The thunderclaps shook the house and rattled the windows, scaring a dozen or so small geckos out of their hiding places and onto the living room ceiling. They huddled near the ceiling fan, and it almost looked like they were discussing what to do next. I had been half asleep under a blanket on the futon reading a Tim Dorsey novel at the time, and the odd sight of the upside down lizard congregation and the sudden deafening jolt from the thunder had me a little disoriented, I think, because for a moment it wasn't clear to me which way was up. The moment passed, of course, and as the little monsters slinked back into their crevices I got up to watch the storm. This one was powerful but compact, and the thunderhead is heading offshore with its light and sound show now, leaving behind a steady rain. I opened up the sliding door, cranked open a few windows, and as I write this I'm savoring the cool breeze sweeping through the house.

News from bigdogland is that I got certified (along with 3 other people from the job) as an American Heart Asssociation CPR/AED/1st aid trainer this weekend, so I'll be able to train other folks in the company on this stuff. Part of the training included teaching a class of about 10 people with an instructor monitoring the process. I was pretty nervous when we first got started, and although I loosened up fairly quickly it reinforced my respect for those of you out there who do now or have in the past had to get in front of classes and teach for a living day in and day out. You know who you are, too, so don't try to get all modest and it ain't no big deal about it, either, OK?

By the way, and not to get up on the soapbox, but have you taken my advice and taken a CPR class? Why not? Take a few hours on a Saturday morning and go to a class somewhere. Give yourself the skills that could help you give someone a second chance.

Speaking of the miracle of life, congratulations to Val and Aaron on the arrival of Lorenzo. With such artistic, intelligent, caring parents he's destined to be someone special.

And, speaking of the miracle of life, but on a completely different tangent, here's a little video that will probably put a smile on your face. Every house should have some combination of kids, dogs, and cats, I think.

Well, it's bed time and I've gotta scoot. Good night, everybody.

No comments: