Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Stormy weather

We sent out the word yesterday to all of the subs working on site that the job would be closed down all day today because of the approaching tropical storm Ernesto. Some of the guys approached me to see if they could swing a deal for me to let them in to work because they needed the hours, and some tried to convince me to keep the job closed down for the rest of the week so that they could have an extra long Labor Day weekend.

I drove over to the labor hall to pick up checks for our carpenters last night - they were working late securing the building and the office would be closed before they got done, and several of these guys need to get paid every day in order to have money for food and a place to sleep. All of those guys wanted to come back to work today.

The Popeye's restaurant in Perrine was busier than usual last night, given the number of hungry tourist families heading north on US 1 out of the Keys and the locals grabbing a bite on their way home from work. I wanted to feed the crew working late at the jobsite, so I ordered 4 eight-piece boxes, and the clerk laughed and told me I'd better be ready to wait my sorry ass around for a half hour, ordering that much all at one time. She twisted off entirely when I asked if it would faster to get 8 four-piece boxes. I ended up getting a couple of sacks of hamburgers from Wendy's.

There were lines a quarter mile long last night at most every gas station I saw.

The Keys are under a stage 2 mandatory evacuation, which means all non-residents are required to leave. Driving in to work this morning, I passed at least a dozen pickup trucks hauling flats boats heading south on US 1. Do the snook bite better in a storm?

Dawn at the jobsite, coffee on the back porch of the trailer with a couple of superintendents. The talk centers around Jaime's new pickup truck and Mark's upcoming trip to Utah & Wyoming. Everybody's got shutters to put up at their houses, so I reckon we oughta get our odds and ends done so folks can head out early before it gets crazy out there.


Coming home from work in the rain this afternoon I passed a guy on a bicycle heading south on the stretch, 10 miles south of Florida City and 10 miles north of Key Largo. He had on the cycling tights, brightly colored jersey, wild helmet, etc. It looked like he was having a great time.

I wonder if he's going fishing or has shutters to put up?

No comments: