Sunday, December 04, 2005

Shotgunning...

Just got home from shuffling papers at the jobsite. Not enough time in the day or days in the week to get everything done, much less get it all done the way it all should be. Pay apps, change order requests from subs, field reports from the architect, incident reports, budget adjustments, cost reports, etc etc etc.....I am really frustrated with the way things are going...overall the job's in good shape, but there are so many loose ends to get and keep tied up to make sure things continue to go the right way. I spent 4 hours today just reading through e-mails, letters and faxes that have accumulated since I took a few days off for Thanksgiving, and another hour just trying to figure out what I need to get done next week. Mostly assigning tasks to the rest of the staff and getting ready for the BIG MEETING on Wednesday (the boss is coming in for only about the 3rd time in the 1-1/2 years the job's been going) to go over some sticky issues with the client. Normally I can go into these kinds of meetings knowing I've got 'em all outnumbered and surrounded, by god, no matter how much or how little time I have to prepare. But not this time, for some reason. I've had the feeling I've been running in quicksand for a couple of months, and I have really been questioning whether or not this is really what I want to be doing with my time and energy - my life. All jobs suck, I'm sure, and I've had these spates of discontentment before, so maybe this is just a passing thing and tomorrow, next week, or next month I'll suddenly wake up and realize that I am absolutely head over heels in love with my job and can't bear the thought of having to go home at the end of the day. Right now I need to figure out a way to get over this don't give a rat's ass feeling about it all.

I did get to drive Ruby to work today, so the day wasn't a total waste. I went the long way around using Card Sound Road instead of going up the Stretch, and damn what a beautiful drive. The weather is absolutely sparkling here this time of year, and today was the best of the best. Sunny, with literally not a cloud in the sky until after noon, gentle breeze, no humidity and virtually infinite visiblity. It took every bit of willpower I had to stop at work and not just continue putt-putting along enjoying the day.


Every time I drive Card Sound I think of "Native Tongue" by Carl Hiassen, and look out for flying mice.

So speaking of that kind of thing, I wonder how much my current funk could be related to reading Hiassen and John D. MacDonald? I've read several of their books in the last few months, and I think I may be identifying myself with their villians more so than the heroes. They both weave a strong contempt into their stories for the folks pillaging Florida's natural beauty with bulldozers, and their heroes always seem to careen across the state knee deep in lusty adventures while thwarting the environmental rapists. My job, however, is broke out with bulldozers, dumptrucks, cranes, concrete mixers and such. I haven't thwarted anybody or anything in decades. Don't even get me started on lusty adventures, either. Goddam drought as far as that goes. Do me good to get a dadgum blue tongued mango vole come flyin' through the window for a change. What are the odds....?

I'll work on that tomorrow - right now I've got to go check on the ham I threw in the oven when I got home and get the cornbread started.

Oh yeah, before I go - anybody who's looking for more fine editorial commentary on this most recent and definitely most glorious Iron Bowl should take Joe Bob's advice and check this out.

Eat a peach for peace.....

No comments: