Sunday, July 16, 2006

Sunday reflection

Hey. Time for bed now, but I thought I'd bang out a few thoughts before cashing in for the night. I just caught my self thinking "if I'm in bed in 30 minutes I can probably get 4 hours of sleep tonight", and believe it or not that was a comforting thought.

Anyway....instead of moving Reprieve around to the ocean side of the island I've decided to leave her in the bay. I moved the mooring a little closer to the dinghy dock so it'll be much more convenient to get out to her when the weather's nasty. As I was heading in for the day I met a fellow sailor who's catamaran is anchored near me. Martin's probably about 60, born in Germany but has lived here in the States for 15 years or so. He built his cat in a friend's backyard just outside of Jacksonville, and since launching her in the St. John's in 1998 he's cruised from Maine to Texas. He rode out the hurricanes of the last two seasons on the boat, although he said he did take shelter by tying her up in the mangroves when Wilma came through. "All I had to do was get plenty of beer, you know, because you can't be out in the dinghy running for beer when there's a hurricane, ja?" Gotta love it. Yuri, the guy that lives with his red Chow on a dismasted Allmand 31 in front of Snook's, says Martin's crazy, and it's a miracle that his boat didn't sink under the weight of all that beer.

Today was a great day for sailing. Nice steady breeze, sparkling clear blue sky, and the bay a thousand shades of turquoise and green. Ham sammys and a few cold Newcastles for lunch. A very satisfying minor flirtation with a passing kayaker. I've gotta get out more.

Since I spent Saturday at the jobsite, watched Pirates of the Caribbean (the first one) on TV Saturday night, and spent today on the boat, absolutely no domestic chores got done this weekend. I'll be digging deep into the closet to find clean stuff to wear to work, I guess.

So, there you have it. Another weekend draws to a close. Hope yours was a good one, too.

Good night.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Andy -- I got far behind in dogging your blog, just caught up on it for the last week or so. It is repeat is interesting. Beautifully put. Funny. And "moving" in the right places. Great pics. What camera did you get? And, Judy and I just watched the Boggie Pimps video, outstanding! Keep it up -- Zeke