Monday, July 24, 2006

Dog deficit

I miss the company of dogs. Yesterday afternoon I stopped at a friend's house on the way to the boat, and it turns out that earlier in the day he'd gotten a dog for his kids from the animal shelter. They named him Samwise, which seems to fit both his demeanor and the role of faithful and trusty friend that dogs fill in families with kids, but I bet before too long it'll get shortened to Sam or Sammy. The kids were enthralled, of course, and Samwise was soaking up the attention. When I stepped out of the bus he came bounding over to check me out and to recruit me for a game of tennis ball.

I'm not sure how to describe it, but that immediate and unrestrained trust, acceptance, affection, or whatever, that dogs exude is good for the soul, you know?

No comments: