Sunday, March 11, 2007

Warming trend

These are the glory days, as far as the weather is concerned, anyway, here in the beautiful Florida Keys. Cool clear nights, warm and bright days. It seems like everything sparkles, and the water....good lord, the water....it takes my breath away every time I catch a glimpse of it. I bolted from work today after lunch, and the view from the top of the Card Sound bridge, with the calm green of Barnes Sound to the south and the deep blue of Card Sound and Biscayne Bay to the north, was almost unbearable. Like driving through a picture postcard. I had intended to spend the afternoon looking for birthday presents for my March birthday friends and relations, but I hauled ass to the house instead, got my gear, and rowed out to Reprieve to spend the afternoon. Please accept my apologies if you're among the many who are still checking the mailbox for a package from the Crazy Cave, OK?

Anyway, it was a glorious afternoon, and it seems kind of funny now, but for the few hours I was on or on the way to and from the boat I felt like a kid skipping school, which is something I have a lot of memories of somewhere. The sun on my face, the sand under my bare feet, the deck rising and falling on the swell....no phones, no fax machines, no inspectors, architects, subs, or superintendents. Peace and freedom, by god, and I highly recommend it.

Peace and freedom. I don't know if those are necessary partners with independance and solitude, but for me they sure do seem to go together pretty well.

Hanging out with Susie a while back reminded me how powerful and soothing it can be to have someone to be close to, and how unfamiliar I've become with the comfort of a close ear to whisper in. It also reminded me how much work is involved in being in a relationship, and how if you're gonna go for it you'd better make sure you've picked the right person.

There was a wedding at Snook's this afternoon. They have a jetty that goes a little ways out into the water, and the bride & groom exchanged their vows as the sun disappeared into Florida Bay behind them. I stopped and watched from the dinghy for a few minutes as I was rowing in. It was a beautiful scene, but it made me wonder if maybe getting married at dawn wouldn't have a more hopeful symbolism.

I stopped at the cafe on the way home for some frijoles negros y maduros, and flirted with an incredibly charming woman. Usted tiene la sonrisa más hermosa, I said, and she replied with, I believe, my smile is for you. And she was right, because I left with the smile she gave me.

The weather forecast for the next few days here is sunny and warm......

No comments: